We believe that access to safe and effective vaccines is a human right that is currently not enjoyed by everyone, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
Vaccines have transformed the lives of people by controlling diseases that once claimed millions of lives. Incredible progress has been made, but much more can be done.
Immunization is one of the most cost-effective ways to save lives and prevent disease for a lifetime. Every year, more than 2.5 million lives are saved and countless illnesses prevented because of vaccines.
During the Decade of Vaccines we will work to extend the full benefits of immunization to all people, regardless of where they live.
For more information:
- Information About Vaccines (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation)
- Information About Vaccines (GAVI)
- Information About Vaccines (Pan American Health Organization)
- Immunization – The Big Picture (UNICEF)
- Immunization Week 2011 (WHO)
- 10 facts on Immunization (WHO)